Monday, September 8, 2008

Introducing Nan (a.k.a. nlemmel)

Thank you, thank you, please hold your applause until the end. **ahem**

Anyhoo, I've made a little progress on my Moly and thought I'd share it by way of starting my introduction.



I created the sign in pages. Yes there are two Molys there, you aren't seeing double. I'll be sending one of these one its journey around the world, and the other one is going to stay with me and be filled (hopefully) with copies of whatever I put in yours. I guarantee I'll do yours, we'll see if I'll be able to keep up on mine.



This is me. This is me at the end of the day. Sheesh. Please don't look too closely. Ok, that's enough, keep reading. :-P

Anyway, I'm the art director for a publishing company. I've worked in publishing for 18 years now, and I love it. Before that I was in college getting a BA in English Literature. How did I go from a literature major to an art profession? I started as an editorial assistant with zero computer experience. When I started working at DBI Books, they were still using galleys and film, and doing page make up on blueline boards. Ah those were the days. They lasted about a year into my career, and then we got a computer!!! Whoo hooo! One computer shared by two, and sometimes three people.

I was brought into the world of desktop publishing by a man I still revere as the very best mentor of all time—Sheldon F. He taught me everything. About seven years into my career DBI was purchased by another company, and operations were eventually folded into the new parent company. I went to work at CRM, and I've been there ever since.

It's been a long and twisty road that has led from there to here, and it really doesn't bear a rehash at this time.

In the past few years I've plunged into blogging, oohing and ahing at the wonderful work I see on other's blogs and on Flickr. Although my work still throws me a curve ball every now and then, there is quite a bit of routine to my professional day. I enjoy stretching to meet new challenges, so if I have to, I'll go looking for them.

Also, I would very much like to end up in possession of the kind of art I've seen posted in the Moly-X blogs. These are truly beautiful pieces of art!

I'm really looking forward to this experience, and I hope to create some art you'll be pleased to call your own too.

Thanks!

No comments: