Monday, October 13, 2008

My entry in Lynne's Moly



"Under the lime tree
on the open field,
where we two had our bed,
you still can see
lovely both
broken flowers and grass.
On the edge of the woods in a vale,
tandaradei,
sweetly sang the nightingale."

~ Walther von der Vogelweide

For my entry in Lynne's 'superstitions' book I chose to draw the linden (sometimes called lime) tree.

In ancient Germanic folklore this tree used to house the goddess Freya. The guardian of homes and wells and goddess of love. Houses were often built underneath a linden tree and weddings celebrated underneath them. Having a linden tree close to a well was considered a sign of prosperity. I chose this because when I was younger I used to love reading a fairy tale in which a prominent role was reserved for a linden tree / Freya.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

this is beautiful thankyou !

are you ready for Ste's moly yet?I will put it in the post and hope it wont take as long as mine.....maybe it will be on your doormat when you get back from the wedding :-)

Lynne said...

Chensio, is there any movement on my moly?

Lynne said...

Carlos!?! have you done anything in my moly yet? is it perhaps time you passed it on to someone else..... you have had it since october